[vtkusers] RE: Win2k, VTK and SGI320 revisited

Cathe Ragsdale ragsdale at acl.lanl.gov
Fri Jul 7 15:50:04 EDT 2000

Hi,

Thought I'd pass on an update to this thread. I found that the
problem was some place inside the Nightly Build. If I just use
the VTK 3.1 from the CD, I can get an image to render on the SGI
with Windows 2000 and M$ Visual C++  6. There are still a few
issues with the lighting, but I think that must be an OpenGL/SGI quirk.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Cathe

Body from original email:

Hi,

I am trying to get VTK to run on an SGI 320 running Windows 2000, and
Visual C++ 6.0 service pack 4.
.
I've compiled VTK 3.1 with a Nightly Release, which worked fine.
The problem appears when I try to run any VTK programs. I've made
a new project using cone.cxx. This compiles and links with no errors.
However, when I try to run the program, in the debug mode, I run into problems.
The first problem is a Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Error which tells me:
Program: \ConeTest\Debug\ConeTest.exe
Module:
File: i386\chkesp.c
Line: 42

The value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call. This is
usually a result
of calling a function declared with one calling convention with a function
pointer declared with
a different calling convention.

If I click on the ignore button, I get a render window titled:
Visualization Toolkit - Win32OpenGL #1.

Nothing is ever render to the window and the program locks up. A look in
task manager
reveals that the program is "not  responding."

Has anyone managed to get VTK to work with this type of setup? Or does anyone
have any suggestions as to how to make it work correctly? I've also tried
the same
thing with mace.cxx and I get the same results.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Cathe