vtkThinPlateSplineMeshWarp

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 09:42:19 EST 2000

<inserted stuff down below>

At 17:43 03/02/00 +0100, you wrote:
>At 20:19 02/02/00 -0500, David Gobbi a écrit:
>> > (sorry for the delay, I was in California)
>>
>>I'll be heading there is just a couple weeks -- too bad we missed each
>>other :)
>
>I see, SPIE Medical Imaging. Well, I wish I could go there, but my paper
>was accepted by SPIE Electronic Imaging first. Too bad :(
>
> > You meant r.log(r) ?
>
>>No!  I meant r, as in r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2), simply the distance
>>between two points.
>

> > U(r) = |r| : something wrong here I guess.
>
>>U(r) = r = |r| = fabs(r) = sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2) are all the same thing.
>
>That's what I thought, when I wrote "something wrong here" that meant "I'm
>a bit confused with the use of the distance instead of the r.log
>formulation". Sorry for the confusion.
>
>>Well, the 'definitive' answer would be in  F.L. Bookstein _Morphometric
>>Tools for Landmark Data_  but someone else has it out of the library
>>right now.  And maybe each of us should work though the 3D energy
>>integral to prove whether 'our' version has the properties expected.
>>
>>In Bookstein's paper 'Shape and the Information in Medical Images:
>>A Decade of the Morphometric Synthesis,' Computer Vision and Image
>>Understanding 66:97-118, he clearly states at the bottom of page 105:
>>
>>      The formalism of the spline goes over to three-dimensional data
>>      almost unchanged -- the kernel is now |r|, the matrix Q now has
>>      four columns, and the integral in Eq. (4) has six terms instead
>>      of three ...
>>
>>I take this to mean that U(r) = r*r*log(r) only for 2D splines, and
>>that U(r) = |r| for 3D splines.
>
>Hum, that's not obvious for me. I guess he just wanted to say that the
>distance was the Euclidean one ?
>
>OK, I've got 12 articles in front of me, let me see...
>
>All right, if you do not mind, I'll send you two papers :
>         "Surface interpolation with radial basis functions for medical
>imaging" (Carr)
>         "Creating surfaces from scaterred data using radial basis
>functions" (Schaback)
>
>Both are reasoning in R^d, and the first one is a 3D application.
>Could you please have a look at them ?
>I'm quite sure the TPS is really r.log(r). If there is still a doubt, let's
>send an email to Mr Bookstein, I already did once.

Just been to a very nice talk by the man himself, I asked him about this
very question. Without any doubt, the RBF you need for 3d TPS is |r|. He
explained to me why this was so but I understood very little. :)

Hope this is useful information.

Tim.

Tim Hutton, Research Assistant            Email: T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
MINORI Project                          Eternal: T.Hutton at excite.co.uk
Dental and Medical Informatics     http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~dmi/MINORI

Eastman Dental Institute, UCL                    Tel: [+44] (0207) 915 2344
256 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK         Fax: [+44] (0207) 915 2303
This email represents the views of the sender alone and must not be
construed as representing the views of the Eastman Dental Institute. It may
contain confidential information and may be protected by law as a legally
privileged document and copyright work. Its content should not be disclosed
and it should not be given or copied to anyone other than the person(s)
named or referenced above. If you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender.

"info vtkusers" to the same address.