[vtkusers] vtk on AIX 4.3

Dick Dunbar RLDunbar at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 1 13:31:09 EST 2000

I've seen the other posts from users having trouble with building
on AIX.  I did download and build properly yesterday, but am having
some difficulty with some of the examples, because I suspect
my directory structure is not correct.

Simple changes:

1) export the AIX compiler names (unless you prefer gnu)

   export CC=/bin/xlc_r
   export CXX=/bin/xlC_r
   ./configure --with-tcl

2) One of the gnu compile flags confuses AIX compilers:

    -ptall

   Is interpreted as a combination of two flags:
    -p  Profiling  (Don't know why you'd need or want that)
    -t  Is a debugging flag that tells the compiler to add
        a prefix for compiler executables

  The result is the error people have reported about "nld" not
  being found.

  Recommendation:  Eliminate the -ptall flag

3) I modified user.make as follows:
   CC = xlc_r
   CXX = xlC_r
   USER_CFLAGS = -O2
   USER_CXXFLAGS = -O2
   TCL_INCLUDE=-I/usr/local/include
   TCL_LIB=/usr/local/lib/libtcl8.3.so
   TK_INCLUDE=-I/usr/local/include
   TK_LIB=/usr/local/lib/libtk8.3.so

My questions:

1) I'm running on AIX and Win2000.
   Already have tcl 8.4 installed on Win2000, and the pre-builts
   for Win seem to use tcl8.0.  Any way to use the latest levels?
   Win2000 wasn't an option, so I chose WinNT, and the install
   missed a step which I think was trying to establish a batch
   PATH to the vtk executables.

2) I'm having trouble merging the directory structures from
   the nightly vtk.tar.gz, vtk20data*.tar.gz, MissingData.tar.gz
   and vtkExamplesOnly.tar.gz

   Suggestions on the right order and method for expanding these?

3) Having trouble running some tcl examples, and the diagnostics
   don't give me enough hints to know how to fix it.

   AIX doesn't have a default LIBPATH ... that is usually built into
   each executable, and I'm guessing there is a library missing
   somewhere.   For example:

    cd contrib/examplesTcl
    vtk ClippedCone.tcl
      invalid command name "vtkMassProperties"  line 77