[vtkusers] Very Large Libary Size on SGI !

Terry J. Ligocki tjligocki at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 24 13:13:57 EDT 2000

> I compiled vtk libaries on SGI Irix6.5. I found the
> compiled size is very large.
>
> with CXX=CC -g -O2, the results are:
> libVTKcommon.a 9.16M
> libVTKGraphics.a 46.9M
> libVTKImaging.a 21.2M
>
> with CXX=gcc -g -O2, the results are:
> libVTKcommon.a 16.5M
> libVTKGraphics.a 71.8M
> libVTKImaging.a 32.6M
>
> with CXX=gcc -O2, the results are:
> libVTKcommon.a 3.5M
> libVTKGraphics.a 15M
> libVTKImaging.a 8.17M
>
> I wonder whether the last size is normal, otherwise
> what the normal size should be and what I should do.

This looks about right to me.  On our SGI's running 6.5.8 the library sizes are:

      2.5M - libVTKCommon.so
      9.5M - libVTKGraphics.so
      6.2M - libVTKImaging.so
      1.2M - libVTKPatented.so
      1.2M - libVTKContrib.so

These were compiled with "CC -n32 -O2" (not quite any of the cases you had) and are shared
libraries (".so" vs. ".a").  I wouldn't be surprised if the "-g" libraries were a lot bigger
since there are lots and lots of functions/methods/symbols but I don't have any numbers for
those.

Hope this helps...

                Terry J. (Ligocki, tjligocki at lbl.gov, (510)486-6140)