[vtkusers] Volume Rendering and Large Textures

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Tue Aug 22 13:52:39 EDT 2000

Hello Sean,

The volume rendering texture mapping supported in VTK right now is based on
2D texture mapping. There is a target texture size (default of 512x512) -
if the two minor-direction dimensions of the volume are smaller than this
(256 or less) then multiple slices will be packed into one texture. If the
minor-direction dimensions are bigger than this, then the target texture
size will be increased to fit one slice of the volume and still be a power
of 2, with one slice rendered at a time. There are not three copies of the
volume - this is all computed on the fly every render. It would be faster
to store 3 copies of the volume in RGBA format - but only if no shading is
occurring - otherwise we still need to traverse the volume to compute
shading. Right now if you try to load a volume with dimensions larger than
you can have a 2D texture (maybe a 1024x1024x20 volume with a video card
that can only support 512x512 textures) you are out of luck. Most
reasonable video cards support 2048x2048 I think, even if it doesn't all
fit in memory at once, so I have never encountered this problem. (Although
I have encountered the problem where the rendering gets very slow because
the software driver is averaging the texture down to fit in the available
memory - but this was an old video card)

Hope that comes close to answering your question.

Lisa