[vtkusers] Help with vtkLookupTable

Joseph Toman toman at marge.cyber-dyne.com
Mon Aug 21 10:19:08 EDT 2000

Hi,

I need to map scalars to colors in a piecewise linear way. It seems
like my only two choices (other than rolling my own) are to map them
linearly with vtkLookupTable or logarithmically with
vtkLogLookupTable.This seems woefully inadequate so I have to ask
"What gives?". I saw vtkColorTransferFunction, which sounds exactly
like what I want, but even though it's a descendant of
vtkScalarsToColors it doesn't seem to want to work with vtkMapper or
it's decendents. Is it somehow just for volume rendering? Am I doomed
to cutting and pasting vtkLogLookupTable in order to get what I need?
I find it hard to believe there's no generalized scalar to color function
that a vtkMapper could use with, say, a callback function or something.
Anyhow, tips, advice, or sage wisdom would be much appreciated.

					J. Toman