Picky mathematical points with vtkCamera

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Apr 17 20:15:14 EDT 2000

>Using vtkCamera::SetWindowCenter() in conjunction with
>ParallelProjection.  The code used to shear the view volume,
>I changed it so that it translates the view volume instead.
>This seemed much more in line with what happens when
>SetWindowCenter is used with with perspective views.
>
>However, I think that SetWindowCenter was originally meant
>as a counter-intuitive (IMHO) method for creating oblique
>projections.  So what I thought was an error in the VTK code
>probably wasn't.
>
>So, any opinions?  Should the result of using
>vtkCamera::SetWindowCenter() with a parallel projection
>be to shift the view volume, or to shear it?

I never considered WindowCenter with a parallel projection although it is
perfectly reasonable. It should not perform a shear with a parallel
projection, only perspective. A common application of window center is for
rendering to multiple screens such as a power wall. In such cases a
parallel projection should result in a translation. For perspective, it is
a shear and an off axis projection.  Window center is essentially the same
as CW in Foley vanDam. The intent of WindowCenter is to support off axis
projections required for proper stereo rendering (with a shared view
plane), power wall, etc.

  - Ken

"info vtkusers" to the same address.