object render order

Yves Starreveld ystarrev at macserver.irus.rri.on.ca
Wed Sep 15 10:02:22 EDT 1999

Hi Tim, Bryan,
I ran into this also. There is no per-polygon sorting which takes
opacity into account (unless you use ATI board on a Mac - there is an
agl_ extension to solve it there)
The depth buffer draws the frontmost, transparent polygon, but then
not the deeper one you should be able to see behind it.
I hacked around this by manually sorting vtkActors in a vtkRenderer
such that the most transparent are drawn last.
This will not work on complex actors where one of two slightly
translucent actors is not always either in front or behind the other.
Yves

Yves Starreveld
Robarts Research Institute,
London, Ontario, Canada

> As I understand it, transparency is not properly implemented in
OpenGL, I