No subject

Randy Heiland heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 15 07:53:51 EDT 1999

________=22Create_surface=22_=28Sep_15=2C_11=3A47am=29?=
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Luis_Miguel__Gon=E7alves_Lopes_?=
 l18596 at alunos.cc.fc.ul.pt>, vtkusers at gsao.med.ge.com
Subject: Re: Create surface

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19909150653.ZM2727.ncsa.uiuc.edu

On Sep 15, 11:47am, Luis Miguel  Gon=E7alves Lopes wrote:
> Subject: Create surface
> Greetings!, VTK users,
>
> 	I can already visualize molecules using pdbs in VTK...I have a set of
> points that correspond to types of atoms, and each point represents the=

> center of a sphere with the correspondent colour and radius....What I w=
ant
> is to create a surface from those spheres...I don't want to see the
> interception of the spheres...I want a smooth surface around them...Can=

> anyone help?

Luis,

Assuming you *really* want this described blobby surface (and not an isos=
urface
of the computed electron density field, which you're basically describing=
),
then about the only thing I could suggest is the "alpha shapes" concept. =
 Doing
a web search will turn up plenty of hits.  The current commercial venture=
 that
 Edelsbrunner has started can be found at http://www.geomagic.com/sitemap=
=2Ehtml

So in your case, you'd obtain the points on your spheres/atoms and feed t=
hat
into an alpha shapes filter -- it's that simple :)

--Randy

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19909150653.ZM2727.ncsa.uiuc.edu--