inputting raw data into field data

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue Sep 14 08:38:18 EDT 1999

Hi Mark-

At 11:07 AM 9/14/99 +1000, Mark.Palmer at cmis.csiro.au wrote:
>Ok, warning, possibly stupid/ignorant questions follow!

Software is for the brave :-)

>I'm trying to use 'financialfield2.tcl' as a sort of template to develop my
>own
>procedure for reading in raw data files, but in a slightly different
>context.
>I think i've got a grip on what 95% of parsefile does, but i dont understand
>what the
>line
>
>    [dos GetOutput] SetFieldData field
>
>achieves. Could someone make it clearer to me.

The instance "dos" is a vtkProgrammableDataObjectSource - a source process object that generates a data object. vtkDataObject is a general superclass that can only represent field data. Also, the class vtkProgrammableDataObjectSource is unusual in that it is run-time programmable by defining (in this case) a Tcl proc.

So what's going on is that you are reading data (in a Tcl proc function), creating a field, and then assigning the field as the output of dos. This is quite similar to other filters that process data and then assign the data as their own output.

Hope this helps,

Will

Dr. William J. Schroeder
Kitware Visualization Solutions / vtk Commercial Support
469 Clifton Corporate Parkway
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
1-518-371-3971 (Phone & Fax)