inputting raw data into field data

Mark.Palmer at cmis.csiro.au Mark.Palmer at cmis.csiro.au
Mon Sep 13 21:07:52 EDT 1999

Ok, warning, possibly stupid/ignorant questions follow!

I'm trying to use 'financialfield2.tcl' as a sort of template to develop my
own
procedure for reading in raw data files, but in a slightly different
context. But,
i have a few conceptual problems with the whole business. Hopefully, someone

will be kind enough to help me out.

I've abstracted out some of the relvant code below.

# Parse an ascii file and manually create a field. Then construct a
# dataset from the field.
vtkProgrammableDataObjectSource dos
    dos SetExecuteMethod parseFile
proc parseFile {} {

   [dos GetOutput] SetFieldData field
}

# Create the dataset
vtkDataObjectToDataSetFilter do2ds
    do2ds SetInput [dos GetOutput]

I think i've got a grip on what 95% of parsefile does, but i dont understand
what the
line

   [dos GetOutput] SetFieldData field

achieves. Could someone make it clearer to me.

I guess once ive got that sorted out, my next question might be more
obvious.

Thanks

Mark Palmer
Leeuwin Centre
Environmetrics Project
65 Brockway Rd,
CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences
Floreat Park
Phone:              61-8-9333-6293
Western Australia
Fax:                  61-8-9333-6713