VTK vs OpenInventor

Jan Ehrhardt ehrhardt at medinf.mu-luebeck.de
Thu Sep 9 07:42:04 EDT 1999

Open Inventor isn´t freeware, but I ´ve heard there is a free clone available.
Furthermore it is not the same level of abstraction. Open Inventor deals with
scene graphs and nodes for material, transformations, surfaces and so on.
VTK is a higher abstraction level and includes filters for manipulation of
images and polygonal data and IO. But Open Inventor includes a nice
user interface for manipulating 3D scenes.
Actually Open Inventor is out of date, the new SGI product is "Performer".
Maybe someone else can tell you more about that.

Jan