Slow March

Sathya Krishnamurthy ksathya at omirf.iusd.iupui.edu
Thu Sep 2 09:31:03 EDT 1999

Hello All

I've been trying to visualize CT data for past few weeks.
The code basically uses MFC with vtkBMPReader and vtkContourFilter with
Win32OpenGLRenderWindow. There are about 4 Rendering Windows. The axial ,
saggittal ,coronal and the surface rendering are displayed in each.

Initially, I tried it with 70x70 Images which is about 1/8 of resolution on
Pentium 300 Mhz with 128 Meg Ram on NT4.0. The program consumed all the
memory and began to crawl..rather not respond, though the initial rendering
took place.
The system was upgraded to 550 Mhz with 384 MegRAM on NT4.0 and I used full
resolution images..Same result. which is no result. The whole system was
crawling and ran out of memory.

Given my scenario, Can anyone kindly point out to me what are the general
optimization and performance issues that can be done in VTK ? Also, Are
there any specific issues that need to addressed as far as MFC is concerned
?

Also for a pipeline which goes like

vtkBMPReader
vtkImageConstantPad
vtkContourFilter
vtkPolyDataMapper
vtkActor
vtkRenderer
vtkRenderWindow
vtkRenderWindowInteractor

Can somebody tell me for which of these items I can use early delete of the
objects with out affecting my output ?

Thanks a lot

Sincerely
Sathya