Linux build times, and VTK optimized builds

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Tue Nov 30 03:46:31 EST 1999

Brent Burton <brentb at io.com> writes:
> I hope this helps -- I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw
> 11 hour compile times.

I neglected to keep careful notes, but when I was building vtk 2.4
recently, I got perhaps 4- or 5-hour build times on an HPPA C180
(180MHz RISC chip, not exactly state-of-the-art), using gcc 2.95.2
with -O2.

BTW, this version of gcc seems to compile *way* slower than the old
2.7.2 release; compiles on the C180 are barely quicker than compiles
with 2.7.2 on my old HPPA 715/75, although I know from specs and from
benchmarking other programs that the C180 is 3 to 4x faster.  HP has
"improved" their proprietary compiler similarly :-(

In short, your compiler may be to blame ... the gcc boys seem to
have been pissing away cycles with abandon lately ...

			regards, tom lane