isosurface to volume(solid model)

vtk vtk at yifan.net
Mon Mar 22 20:01:22 EST 1999

Hello Michael,

Thanks fot your help.

MF> Some answers:
MF> 1:
MF> I would expect that you can export the isosurface as an STL file since it
MF> is just a bunch of triangles.  If your solid modeler can import STL then
MF> you should be all set.  (Note:  you will probably run into difficulties if
I have tried Pro/E, Ansys, SolidWork, all of these CAD program can not
generte a solid model based on my STL isosurface file(at least to my
knowledge)

MF> the iso-surface does not unambiguously enclose a volume.)  I would suggest
What do you mean the 'unambiguously enclose a volume'?  what is the
differnet between volume and solid model? I think this question is
stupid, but I don't have a clear concept about them.

MF> you take a look at the types of files your solid modeling package can
MF> import as some modelers can also import VRML files.

MF> I know one of my associates has used Ironcad to import an STL file and
MF> convert it to a solid (BRep) in Ironcad's native format.
Would you please tell me more about this?  BTW, I have sent an email
to ironCAD, i don't know when I can get their answer.

MF> 2:
MF> No, not in the sense of a Pro/Engineer, Ironcad, Unigraphics, Parasolid,
MF> Solidworks, etc native solid model.
//crying...

MF> 3:
MF> Don't know...
I did some research on both formats, it not to hard to convert
polydata (lines, points, polygan) to a DXF, but I think it is useless,
at least now.

BTW, I got another idea about this:
Once I build the isosurface, then I use vtkCutter to generate several
spaced contours, then save this contours to a DXF file.  now this dxf
file contains sever layer contours, but i am not famillar with CAD
programs, if it is possible to generate a solid model based on these
contour layers?

Thanks a lot & have a nice night!

-Travis

--