Troubles with printing 2D Texts - strong changes between 2.3 and 2.4 version

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue Jul 20 19:01:57 EDT 1999

<x-flowed>
>Hello !
>
>I'me sorry but I've downloaded the 2.4 version, it took me several hours
>to download, build the
>version and rebuild my project, and it still doesn't print 2D texts.

It does for us. So my guess is that the way you are doing
print preview may not match how we are doing it. You must use the
render into memory methods in the Win32OpenGLRenderWindow.
The Sample MFC app shows the basics of how to do this. You don't
need MFC to do this either. But the MFC sample shows the basic code.

>It took me a long time to rebuild my project because of many changes in
>VTK classes:
>
>vtkRenderer::UpdateActors() has been removed and seems to be replaced by
>vtkRenderer::UpdateGeometry(), which is protected, so we can't call it.

The older methods should have been protected as well. We didn't
think anyone was calling them directly. Sorry about that.

>float* vtkCamera::GetFocalPoint has been replaced by double*
>vtkCamera::GetFocalPoint, because of
>precision ?

Yes. For large datasets float doesn't provide enough accuracy.

>In VTK 2.3, we could write
>pScalarBarActor->GetLookupTable()->GetNumberOfColors()
>
>vtkScalarBarActor::GetLookupTable returned a vtkLookupTable in 2.3
>vtkScalarBarActor::GetLookupTable returns vtkScalarsToColors in 2.4,
>vtkLookupTable is now derived from vtkScalarsToColors instead of vtkObject
>in 2.3, so we have to
>make a type conversion
>to be able to access to vtkLookupTable::GetNumberOfColors

Those changes were to support people using TransferFunctions or
LookupTables in places where both should have been supported.
Since TransferFunctions don't have a number of colors

>How is possible to have all these changes writen on a documentation
>instead of loosing so much
>time to discover it ?

To be honest we didn't think there were that many changes. I think you hit
many of them. We didn't put out a formal change list for 2.4 because it
was mainly intended as a last chance release before 3.0 which we planned
for August (normally releases are every four months).

- Ken