Troubles with printing 2D Texts - strong changes between 2.3 and 2.4 version

Hugues Wisniewski h_wski at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 18:01:40 EDT 1999

>>... All 2D text actors can't be print previewed and then printed (stand
>>alone 2D text actors and scalar bar text actors).

>I believe this should work in vtk2.4.
>
>- Ken

Hello !

I'me sorry but I've downloaded the 2.4 version, it took me several hours to download, build the
version and rebuild my project, and it still doesn't print 2D texts.
It took me a long time to rebuild my project because of many changes in VTK classes:

vtkRenderer::UpdateActors() has been removed and seems to be replaced by
vtkRenderer::UpdateGeometry(), which is protected, so we can't call it.

float* vtkCamera::GetFocalPoint	has been replaced by double* vtkCamera::GetFocalPoint, because of
precision ?

In VTK 2.3, we could write pScalarBarActor->GetLookupTable()->GetNumberOfColors()

vtkScalarBarActor::GetLookupTable returned a vtkLookupTable in 2.3
vtkScalarBarActor::GetLookupTable returns vtkScalarsToColors in 2.4,
vtkLookupTable is now derived from vtkScalarsToColors instead of vtkObject in 2.3, so we have to
make a type conversion
to be able to access to vtkLookupTable::GetNumberOfColors

How is possible to have all these changes writen on a documentation instead of loosing so much
time to discover it ?

thanks a lot for helping me
Hugues