VTK & Java info rqst

Audrius Stundzia adv_biologic at excite.com
Fri Jul 2 10:53:13 EDT 1999

Hi Igor,

Back from celebrating Canada Day up here.

I once developed a vtk/Java/Swing application which sounds similar to what
your
trying to do. As vtkPanel is a "heavyweight" (Java AWT) class, I wasn't
able
to use it in JInternalFrame - a "lightweight" (Swing) class. I found the
following guide useful:

http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/archive/tech_topics_arch/mixing/mixing.
html

I ended up using embedded JSplitPanes (giving 4 panes in my application) and
was able to insert a heavyweight vtkPanel rendering window into each one.
Each
rendering window was spun off as a seperate thread. This worked quite well.

In my current application, I've used pure Swing to create a GUI panel.
A seperate thread (my extension of the SwingWorker thread) executes a
series of JNI methods to load the data and execute a series of (C++) vtk
graphics pipelines. So while the GUI is pure Swing, the rendering windows
are a set of X windows as I'm working on a unix machine. I'm
not sure this is what you want. My current challenge,
as you may have noticed from my posting, is to spin of each of the
interactors
for the pipelines as a seperate thread in the vtk/C++ enviroment. Since
threading is not an intrinsic part of the C++ specification, this ends
up being much more complicated than in Java. The vtk group, to their credit,

are doing a lot of work to simplify the process.

Hope this info is of some help.

Best regards,

Audrius