Q: vtkMultiThreader. Threads. How to use? Example?

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Jul 1 09:49:25 EDT 1999

Hi Audrius,

You should not have a problem having several vtkRenderWindowInteractors in
the same thread - so you shouldn't need to worry about thread safeness for
that. As for your program going off and doing other stuff in another thread
it depends on what that other stuff is. I believe that on most platforms
you can't use OpenGL from more than one thread at a time (definitely not on
the same context). If you are not doing OpenGL and not working on the same
objects that the interactors are displaying (or the entire pipeline up to
that point) then everything is fine. If you are altering the pipelines or
any of the objects in the pipelines from the other thread, then it will be
difficult or maybe even impossible without adding mutex calls to the code
to guarantee that two threads don't collide.

Lisa