the "Bypass" feature in imaging

Lisa Sobierajski Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Dec 16 16:21:16 EST 1999

<x-flowed>Hello everyone,

As you may know, the VTK pipeline architecture is being reworked for VTK
3.0. The main goal of this rework is to simplify the pipeline update
mechanism. This is being done by making the update process occur mostly at
the superclass level (vtkSource and vtkDataObject) and clearly defining
what parts of the update process could / should be overridden. A byproduct
should be that new filters will be easier to write - and writing a graphics
filter won't be too much different than writing an imaging filter.

This leads to my question - how many people out there are using the Bypass
feature in the imaging filter? And, if you are, how awful would it be if it
goes away? Here are the pros and cons:

Why we should keep the bypass feature: This feature allows you to easily
turn off a filter in the middle of an imaging pipeline without having to
keep track of all the other filters.

Why we should eliminate the bypass feature: It complicates the execute
method in the imaging filters. It is not implemented in every imaging
filter now (sometimes it is just ignored). If you use it without thought to
what two filters you would be connecting if you turn Bypass on, then you
can cause an error or even a segmentation fault in your pipeline.

It is possible to argue that instead of taking it out of the imaging
filters, we should make it a more general feature of the pipeline (for
example vtkDataSetToDataSetFilter subclass could bypass, as could
vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter subclasses). Of course, this would then
complicate even more execute methods, and would mean that many filters
would have to produce an error if you try to turn Bypass on.

My opinion is that it should be removed. It is a nice feature, but it does
complicate the execute methods and therefore would make understanding /
writing filters easier if it is gone. Also, you can simply reconnect your
pipeline to achieve the same effect. Of course, I don't use this feature so
I may not have a full understanding of why this feature is used and what
impact its removal will have.

If you have an opinion, please express it in email to the user's list (and
do it soon please - since I want to check in all these changes in the next
few days) If enough people express a strong opinion that it should stay,
then I will probably leave it in pretty much as is right now, with the goal
of making it more general in the future.

Thanks,

Lisa