General Transforms, anyone?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu Dec 16 16:07:10 EST 1999

Hi Will,

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks to the others who have gotten
back to me on this.

I don't think that virtual function overhead will be much of
a problem -- even very simple transforms (i.e. 4x4 matrix) are
expensive enough that the virtual function overhead should be
minimal.  A little benching will be necessary...

Backwards compatibility will be essential.  Personally, I would
love to re-write vtkTransform from the ground up to use a
quaternion/4x4-matrix hybrid, make vtkNormals use 4 points instead
of three, but I'm willing to compromise ;)

I probably won't have anything ready to send out until the new
year, but I'll refresh the discussion then.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group