General Transforms, anyone?

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Dec 16 15:54:55 EST 1999

Hi David-

At 11:26 AM 12/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I'd like to hear what people think about the idea of a
>'general transform,' i.e. a base class with the following
>methods:

This idea is promising, at least from what I understand. My major concern is performance, and backward compatibility. Performance would be affected depending on which methods were made virtual  (if any) - that could be an issue. It looks like backward compatibility could be preserved. Also, several other people have requested other types of transformations, and this would fit right in.

I think what is preventing action at this point is that we all feel that additional discussion (and more details) are required. I would suggest the following - create a complete .h file for vtkGeneralTransform  - and send it around. Then we can all look and follow up with comments. At some point interested parties can fork from vtkusers.

Will

Dr. William J. Schroeder
Kitware Visualization Solutions / vtk Commercial Support
469 Clifton Corporate Parkway
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
1-518-371-3971 (Phone & Fax)