Linux and OpenGL hardware

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Wed Dec 15 15:06:13 EST 1999

Hi Oliver,

We have been using both the TNT2 cards (ELSA Erazor III, Viper V770)
and Matrox cards (G200 and G400).  Both work very well, except for
some issues with memory cleanup for texture maps (if you don't do
intensive texture map reloading, you won't notice the problem).
The TNT2 support is 16-bit only under Linux, and I haven't gotten
the 32-bit texture support for the G400 working.

My pick would be the G400.  Linux support appears to be moving ahead
much more rapidly than the TNT2 or Voodoo boards and it provides
better visual quality than either.

There is also commercial (i.e. $100US and up) support for 3DLabs,
ATI, and Evans and Sutherland from Accelerated X.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group