Video input in VTK

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Mon Dec 13 21:40:33 EST 1999

Hi all,

After sitting on my video input classes for VTK for about eight
months I have decided to clean them up and give them to Kitware.

The source code is available in the nightlies.  Here are the classes:

vtkVideoSource
 - the base class, works on all architectures but doesn't display anything
   but snow

vtkWin32VideoSource
 - supports Video for Windows, i.e. nearly all video digitizers for
   Win95/98/NT (has only been tested on the SGI 320)

vtkMILVideoSource
 - supports the following frame grabbers via the Matrox Imaging Library:
   Meteor, MeteorII, Corona, Pulsar, Genesis (only tested on Corona)

To use these, you have to add them to contrib/Makefile.in, run pcmaker,
and recompile.

These are the features:
 - realtime video capture into an abitrarily large buffer
 - pseudo-realtime video display to a vtkImageWindow
 - greyscale, RGB, and RGBA output formats are supported
 - clipping of the video frame (e.g. to save memory)
 - multiple frames can be output in a single block for processing
 - each frame is timestamped (resolution is a few millisecs)

Feedback is welcome, of course -- but please CC all bug reports and
'how do I ...' requests to the VTK mailing list so that others aren't
left in the dark.

And if you're wondering if your particular video hardware is ever
going to be supported:  I only wrote drivers for the systems I
use for my own research.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group