Q: How to make normal point outward?

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed Dec 8 08:20:58 EST 1999

Hi Scott-

>I've got a 3D object that is defined in vtkPolyData form. I'd like to make sure that all of the polygon normals point "outward" in the right-hand rule sense. Is there an easy way to do this within VTK?

There are two filter to look into: vtkPolyDataNormals and vtkReverseSense.

vtkPolyDataNormals should do the trick (it generates normals). However, if for some reason you need to reverse the ordering of the polygons and/or normals, you can use vtkReverseSense.

Will

Dr. William J. Schroeder
Kitware Visualization Solutions / vtk Commercial Support
469 Clifton Corporate Parkway
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
1-518-371-3971 (Phone & Fax)