No OpenGL support in Windows2000 ??

klaatu klaatu at clark.net
Thu Dec 2 10:44:56 EST 1999

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Will Schroeder wrote:

> Hi Simon-
>
> A very interesting article, thanks for sending it along.

> Another nail in SGI's coffin, I'm afraid. And, I'm sure Microsoft will
> generate it's usual share of animosity with this.

Actually, I can see SGI becoming much more profitable by tightening its
focus into being very lean and mean, ditching most of its core hardware/OS
business, and specializing on being the Very Best manufacturer of extreme
high-end graphics cards. They've clearly got the personnel and experience
and if they started aggressively courting the sort of government and
research folks who can spend top-dollar on hardware but who prefer the
cost-free Open Source OSen, I think they can carve out a handsome little
niche.

> We have talked about adding a Direct3D renderer, it doesn't appear horribly hard to do. But this is definitely a topic that needs discussion.
>
> Will

    Be kind to your neighbors, even though they be transgenic chimerae.
Whom thou'st vex'd waxeth wroth: Meow.      http://www.clark.net/pub/klaatu/