using VTK on distribted computing system

Robert Benjamin Harris rbharris at leland.Stanford.EDU
Fri Aug 27 11:59:02 EDT 1999

Hi there,

Some thoughts about your problem.

My current use of vtk is similar enough to yours that you might benefit
from knowing this solution. I had to get data from MATLAB to a vtk
simulation, however, unlike your sitution, both are running on the
same computer. But this solution could be extended to yours. To solve the
problem I used DDE. If your workstation OS uses DDE perhaps you
could use Net DDE--that is if your workstation uses Win95/98/NT, OS/2 or
Mac. If you want I can share more about the class I used to implement DDE
in my vtk program.

Depending on how important this is to you, even if your application
doesn't use the (simplistic) IPC mechanism of DDE or Net DDE, you can use
other libraries to ferry information. I have had good experiences with the
RogueWave Libraries. Their concept of virtual streams is really
well implemented. The streams are flexible enough to account for big and
little endian differences between platforms. The RW libraries also sport
ASCII and DDE streams!

Finally if your information is static, have you considered passing it via
the file system? This is admittedly an ugly solution but well trodden.

Hope this helps,
Ben