vtk and DecUnix

Matt Howlett mhowlett at mania.physics.swin.edu.au
Thu Aug 12 21:14:14 EDT 1999

hi,

I've compiled it with both, don't remember any problems with either (could
be remembering wrong though, it was a while ago). If you're still having
problems on Monday I'll recompile and send you samples of the output, so
you know exactly what it's doing. Right now I'm about to rush off for a
busy long weekend. sorry...

In our experience, the native compilers produce binaries that significanty
faster than egcs (can't remember the numbers). At least this is the case
for doing fourier transforms anyway. So if you have computationally
intensive code as well as visualization stuff then get cxx going. The only
problem with this is the name mangling is different for both compilers, so
if you want to link with something that will only compile with egcs (eg
for me this was AIPS++) then you'll have problems. If anyone knows how to
make the name mangling on both compilers the same I'd like to hear about
it - this would solve so many of my problems...

Matt Howlett
Swinburne University of Technology
Melbourne
Australia

---

"When you find yourself on the side of majority, it is time to reform"
	- Mark Twain