texture from probe

Kenneth Wang kenwang at leland.Stanford.EDU
Tue Aug 10 20:34:22 EDT 1999

Hi,

I'm trying to use the result obtained with vtkProbeFilter as a texture
map.  What I'd like to do is something like this:

   vtkPlaneSource      vtkTransform
(hi res for sampling)     |
         |                +---------------------------------+
         V                V                                 |
     vtkTransformPolyDataFilter                             |
                 V                                          |
 (data)---> vtkProbeFilter             vtkPlaneSource       |
                 |                (single quad for vis)     |
                 |                          |               |
                 V                          V               V
       vtkCastToConcrete (*)           vtkTransformPolyDataFilter
                 |                                 |
                 V                                 V
             vtkTexture                  vtkTextureMapToPlane
                 |                                 |
                 +-------+                         |
                         |          +--------------+
                         V          V
         lut--------> vtkPolyDataMapper

                           vtkActor

But, as you can see, this is problematic because the (*)'d cast to
concrete can not produce the structured points that we require for
textures.  While I understand that vtkPlaneSource is a poly data
source, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to get
vtkStructuredPoints from this probe since vtkPlaneSource produces an
array of points.

What I'm trying to do right now is to take the poly data output of the
probe filter (i.e. via cast to concrete) and then copy scalar data
from the probe over to a vtkStructuredPoints that I build from
scratch.  However, this feels like a definite kludge, and I'm not even
sure it will work.  Does anyone has any advice?

Thanks,
Ken Wang

Kenneth C. Wang			E-mail: kenwang at stanford.edu
Electrical Engineering Dept.	Voice:  (650) 725-0458
Stanford University		Fax:    (650) 725-7731
CIS 214, Stanford, CA 94305	Web:    http://www.stanford.edu/~kenwang