volume resizing

FIT warschew at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Aug 11 07:41:27 EDT 1999

Dear list members,

I am currently working on a visualization problem as part of my research
in computer aided surgery. The problem may be stated as follows:

I have a stack of coronary CT scans of the head. the region of interest
(say the anterior skull base) is mapped with high resolution (say 1mm
slices, which give a resolution of 0.48mm x 0.48mm x 2mm vovoxel size)
while the region of lower interest (say remainder of skull base) is
mapped awith a lower resolution. I want to reconstruct a 3D view of the
bony structures using isosurface extraction and to reslice the volume
into the three main anatomical planes (saggital and transversal) in
addition to the plane the imaging study was taken. There is some legacy
code that I am currently using (and unfortunately I cannot do without it
at the moment) which was designed to work with MRI scans of uniform 1mm
x 1mm x 1mm voxel size.
Now I need to create a volume from my CT scans with uniform voxel size
(e. g. by interpolation) to a uniform 1mm x 1mm x 1mm voxel size.
Can this be done with vtk (I currently use version 2.0 which came with
the book I bought to learn using the kit) and if yes could anybody hint
toward a solution ? If no has anybody an idea besides handcrafting the
interpolation ?

Thank You very much in advance.

Arno R. Schleich, MS, MD
Dpt. of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
Free University of Berlin, Germany