[vtk-developers] HeaderTesting

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Mar 18 10:00:47 EDT 2019

Not sure about the documentation (other than looking at the test code).
But for that specific problem, only one include is allowed that doesn't
have a comment after it explaining why it is included. So just add short
comments, that is the trick.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:42 AM Simon Drouin <drouin.simon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there documentation about header include rules somewhere?
>
> One of my questions: some of my HeaderTest fail because there is more than
> one include in the header, even though many header files in VTK include
> more than one header without generating an error. For example, I have a
> header file with those includes:
>
> #include "vtkRenderingCoreModule.h" // For export macro
> #include "vtkObject.h"
> #include "vtkNew.h"
>
> which causes the test to fail. But many other header files have even more,
> e.g. vtkVolumeProperty.h:
>
> #include "vtkNew.h" // Needed for vtkNew
> #include "vtkRenderingCoreModule.h" // For export macro
> #include "vtkObject.h"
>
> and do not fail the HeaderTesting.
>
> Does the order matter? The test report says there are 2 includes, not
> counting "vtkRenderingCoreModule.h", I guess this one is never included in
> the count? There must be something obvious here that I don't see, but what?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> s.

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.