[vtk-developers] Slight behavioral change in WhatModulesVTK.py (new module system)?

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Fri Jan 11 15:21:43 EST 2019

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 07:13:02 +1100, Andrew Maclean wrote:
> I am surprised and amazed this works with the new system.

I updated it since it was requested here. It also turned out to be quite
helpful for determining real dependencies of things in ParaView and
examples.

> When I wrote it, it:
> 1) Only looked at the header files in your code and, from their name,
> worked out the module to use. Ad a consequence of this we had to manually
> include e.g. some modules like the OpenGL stuff.

That's pretty much true still.

> 2) Does detect modules excluded from the wrapping.

Not hard now; it's still just a keyword in `vtk.module`. Though it
doesn't do so right now.

> 3) It was written before external modules were introduced so it may not
> properly work with them.

It only cares about `vtk.module` files (just like it cared only about
`module.cmake` before. If it can find them in the path given, I don't
think it should matter too much.

> The intent was to provide to the user a guide as to what modules should be
> included so they may still have to add extras.

Yeah. I imagine the hard-coded if-then extensions were done because of
this. Doing `IMPLEMENTABLE`/`IMPLEMENTS` logic should make it work for
any module.

--Ben