[vtk-developers] [ANNOUNCE] New module system landing

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Jan 10 17:07:12 EST 2019

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 18:11:54 -0500, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Current state of test failures:
>
>   - taanab and adora: CMake is warning about the inability to make
>     fully correct rpath variables for targets. There may be a way to fix
>     this, but it may be up to doing a suppression as well.

Once things have settled down a bit, I'll look into this more.

>   - duma: it should be using OSMesa, but is not.

How to get this working properly is under discussion:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/5044

>   - example tests: Examples aren't downloading example data properly.

This has been fixed.

>   - various machines: since freetype has been updated, it seems that
>     some new baselines will need to be added. I'll do that as well, but
>     feel free to grab some if you want.

New baselines have been added.

>   - mun: static build failure with jsoncpp symbols. Will look into this
>     tomorrow.

Fixed.

>   - mun: shared+kits Python tests are failing. I suspect a missing PATH
>     entry or the like. Will investgate tomorrow.

Still not working. Needs more investigation.

The state of testing is as follows:

  - Tests failing on multiple machines. These seem worth looking into.
      * VTK::IOGDALCxx-TestGDALRasterReader
            scalar array count mismatch
      * VTK::RenderingExternalCxx-TestGLUTRenderWindow
            fails to get an OpenGL 3.2 context on some machines
      * VTK::RenderingFreeTypeFontConfigCxx-TestSystemFontRendering
            trey isn't rendering the Times fonts as italic
      * VTK::IOExportPDFCxx-TestPDFTransformedText
            Not really sure what's going on here. There's no test image
            for comparison.
      * VTK::IOParallelLSDynaCxx-MPI-PLSDynaReader
            Looks to be a scaling issue, but the geometry looks OK.
      * VTK::IOParallelXMLPython-MPI-testParallelXMLWriters
            Assertion about the number of triangles failing.
      * VTK::RenderingMatplotlibCxx-TestGL2PSMathTextOutput-VerifyRasterizedPNG
            Image size mismatch.
      * VTK::RenderingMatplotlibCxx-TestRenderString
            Image size mismatch.
      * VTK::IOVPICCxx-TestVPICReader
            Failing on Windows due to it expecting `\` path separators
            but being passed `/` path separators. I tried to fix it, but
            it wasn't sufficient. Needs more debugging.
      * VTK::RenderingCoreCxx-TestFollowerPicking
            Currently disabled on taanab (it was previously) due to
            error messages:
                vtkInteractorStyleJoystickCamera (0x1e0e030): Timer start failed
      * Example tests on Windows
            Needs prefixes filled out as mentioned here:
                https://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2019-January/036703.html
  - The static+python builder has had Python disabled for now
        https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/issues/17478
  - bigmac has a number of tests which end up with a pixel or two off
    for the test image size compared to the baselines. Not sure why this
    is. Most, but not all, of them are volume rendering tests.
  - adora is still failing to do XQueryExtension which seems…odd. Still
    need to look into it more.

All third party warnings have been suppressed for now (though some may
slip through yet). I'll deal with those in the future.

--Ben