[vtk-developers] Python Wrapping fails in master build.

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:02:59 EDT 2018

Thanks, Andrew.  So now we know that errno is EACCES, which corresponds to
a Windows filesystem error of ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
or ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION.  I strongly suspect the latter.

So there are two options:

1) retry a few times (e.g. 5 times over 5 seconds), in the hope that the
sharing violation will clear up, which it probably will because antivirus
software only takes a fraction of a second to scan a small file.

2) write to a temporary file which is then renamed to ..Python.cxx (in
which case the 'rename' operation has to retry if it encounters a sharing
violation).

The latter is what CMake does (its "cmSystemTools::RenameFile()" function
retries, so cmake doesn't seem to have any magic that makes retries
unnecessary).

I'm tempted to go with (1) due to its simplicity, and because if we used a
random temporary file we'd have to find some way to remove that file if
vtkWrapPython didn't exit cleanly.

 - David