[vtk-developers] Python Wrapping fails in master build.

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 17:38:23 EDT 2018

You're using Python 3.7?  There was a regression in the Python 3.7.0
release that causes the 'vtkpython' executable to fail:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/issues/17363
I wasn't planning to move to Python 3.7 until Python 3.7.1 is released in a
couple weeks.  Are you able to run the vtkpython.exe that you build?

The build problem you're reporting is probably unrelated to the use of 3.7,
though. I'm just grasping at straws because I still haven't been able to
reproduce your issue on my own system, and there really aren't any good
clues as to what is going wrong.  My only guess is that something is
causing vtkWrapPython.exe to return with a non-zero exit code, but without
printing an error.  Alternatively, Windows is silently killing the
vtkWrapPython.exe process for some reason.

I'm hoping that we'll hear from VS2017 users regarding whether they've
succeeded/failed to build the Python wrappers.

 - David