[vtk-developers] eeloo

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Sep 6 09:08:22 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 12:48:23 -0400, Ken Martin wrote:
> I think that is a crazy warning gcc is producing and we should disable it.
> Way too many false positives with their approach. Can you change the
> compile flags on eeloo to remove that warning?

It's not a crazy warning. I saw warnings from the Catalyst builds after
updating `megas`. The one in vtkObjectFactory is a false positive, but
rewriting it to use `std::string` instead of `strncat` just makes the
code easier to read anyways. Errors in pv-forward.c.in were real and
(since it is C), `snprintf` is the better solution there.

Basically, `strncat` is a function that is really easy to screw up. We
really shouldn't use it in C code and certainly not at all in C++ code.

--Ben