[vtk-developers] Removing unreferenced examples

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Oct 10 14:25:27 EDT 2018

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 13:54:55 -0400, Ben Boeckel said:

>On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:21:57 -0400, Sean McBride wrote:
>> I do maintain it.  It can be built either by the included Xcode
>> project or using the included CMakeLists.txt.
>>
>> When you say "unreferenced" what do you mean?
>
>That there's no CMake code which builds the example. That is, the
>example is only manually built and therefore not tested (or testable!)
>to our dashboards.
>
>Is there some way we can get it available through something like:
>
>```cmake
>if (VTK_BUILD_COCOA_EXAMPLE)
>  add_test(NAME Example-Cocoa COMMAND ...)
>endif ()
>```

It certainly would be nice if it got built automagically, so as to keep API changes and whatnot from breaking it.  But it's not a test, it's an example of an interactive application.  Since it has its own CMakeLists.txt, isn't it just a matter of some higher level CMake stuff building it?  I'm afraid my knowledge of CMake is limited to 'cd bin; cmake ../VTK; make install'. :)

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com