[vtk-developers] vtk-8.2.0-rc2 problem building wheels

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Wed Nov 28 15:06:43 EST 2018

On 11/28/18 11:00 AM, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 19:02:14 -0500, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin wrote:
>>> Should I just ignore the libvtkPythonInterpreter and leave the
>>> PYTHON_LIBRARY field blank?
> It being blank will cause `find_library` to try and find it itself. I
> think the error is that now an empty linker script is not valid, but I'm
> not sure. Is it possible to use an older compiler/linker to make the
> wheels?

Unfortunately, that is a pain, so no, I don't think it would be convenient or
meaningful to expect an older compiler/linker.

>> It looks like introducing an option to conditionally build
>> vtkPythonInterpreter would address the issue here.
>>
>> @Ben: What do you think ?
> How would this work? If it is disabled, `vtkWrappingPythonCore` (a
> dependency of all wrapped Python modules) and `vtkRenderingMatplotlib`
> can't be built.

Does vtkWrappingPythonCore depend on vtkPythonInterpreter?
vtkWrappingPythonCore does not link to libpython or to vtkPythonInterpreter.
The wheels by default do not seem to enable vtkRenderingMatplotlib although I am
not sure if it should be added by default in the future, in which case this is a
more serious issue.

> For the record, the new module system's way of doing this is here:
>
>     https://gitlab.kitware.com/ben.boeckel/vtk/blob/new-cmake-module/Utilities/Python/CMakeLists.txt#L118
>
> Basically, the `VTK::Python` module contains the library for
> executables, but is just the magic flags to ignore the missing symbols
> when linking libraries. So, it should "just work", but it does require
> 3.13+ for `target_link_options` (without it, direct linking is used). It
> can't really be backported because the old module system is quite
> allergic to CMake's target stuff (since it was designed basically as the
> same thing, but predate's CMake's logic).

I think requiring a newer CMake is fairly reasonable if that will solve the
problem unless I am missing something obvious here (which is very likely).

cheers,

Prabhu