[vtk-developers] New module system preview

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Fri Nov 9 10:59:07 EST 2018

On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 08:53:04 -0500, Ken Martin wrote:
> I love the ***idea*** of remote modules but sort of hate them in practice.
> I'm not sure if there is a way to make them work. Maybe someone knows a way.

Maybe the best way is to not treat them as part of VTK at all, but
instead something more like CMake's contract tests. Instead of being
part of VTK's *build* step, they are run as *tests* of VTK to ensure
that VTK is not breaking API (we should be *deprecating* and *adding*
rather than *deleting* or *changing* functions). This means that the
"remote" modules never have to deal with "are we inside VTK?" and are
always doing `find_package(VTK)`.

--Ben