[vtk-developers] New module system preview

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Nov 9 08:53:04 EST 2018

I love the ***idea*** of remote modules but sort of hate them in practice.
I'm not sure if there is a way to make them work. Maybe someone knows a way.

Right now a change in VTK is as simple as one commit to one repo. With
remote modules it could explode into a commit per module, each with it's
own repo, maintainer, etc. Ten remote modules could mean ten commits
instead of one. That would be painful. If there is a way to do remote
modules where one commit can still hit all of them (or at least the central
ones) then it becomes more manageable to me. Maybe using remote module
semantics but with the cores ones from within the same source tree/repo or
something like that.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 11:57 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree with David regarding Remote Modules.
>
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2018, 1:25 PM David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> `find_package(VTK-prev-stage)` would need to be done in later stages
>>> since multiple packages wouldn't be able to install to the same CMake
>>> package. The installed VTK CMake package would be…not the same for
>>> consumers of the package.
>>>

>> Maybe the VTK build could always divide itself into multiple installed
>> cmake packages, to keep things consistent?  I haven't thought this
>> through, however, and it might be a very bad idea...
>>

>>> The best thing to do is probably to trim down what constitutes VTK
>>> itself and move modules to external repositories.
>>>

>> Agreed.
>>

>>> VTK wouldn't care about the top-level `CMakeLists.txt` at all. It would
>>> find the module via the `vtk.module` file and module logic would just
>>> build it as any other module (this is what ParaView does for its
>>> VTK submodule).
>>>

>> That sounds better than VTK current modules.  I'll have to grab the
>> new branch and do some experiments.
>>
>>   David

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.