[vtk-developers] New module system preview

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Nov 8 17:27:16 EST 2018

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 14:25:09 -0700, David Gobbi wrote:
> Maybe the VTK build could always divide itself into multiple installed
> cmake packages, to keep things consistent?  I haven't thought this
> through, however, and it might be a very bad idea...

It could. If we do this though, it should be before we tag 9.0. I don't
want to bikeshed which modules go where on this thread however. I would
note that the kits are probably a good place to start as to the chunking
at least.

> That sounds better than VTK current modules.  I'll have to grab the
> new branch and do some experiments.

Note that there are some things which are likely missing in the current
implementation for VTK remote modules. One is that they may need
different namespaces. For example, VTK's modules are all exported in the
`VTK::` namespace. Remote modules may want to be in a different
namespace and that requires a separate `vtk_module_build` call. However,
this makes me think that these projects are best just left on their own
and not care about being part of VTK's main build. This should be easier
now that using VTK from outside of VTK itself is better.

--Ben