[vtk-developers] New module system preview

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:25:09 EST 2018

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com> wrote:

> `find_package(VTK-prev-stage)` would need to be done in later stages
> since multiple packages wouldn't be able to install to the same CMake
> package. The installed VTK CMake package would be…not the same for
> consumers of the package.

Maybe the VTK build could always divide itself into multiple installed
cmake packages, to keep things consistent?  I haven't thought this
through, however, and it might be a very bad idea...

> The best thing to do is probably to trim down what constitutes VTK
> itself and move modules to external repositories.

Agreed.

> VTK wouldn't care about the top-level `CMakeLists.txt` at all. It would
> find the module via the `vtk.module` file and module logic would just
> build it as any other module (this is what ParaView does for its
> VTK submodule).

That sounds better than VTK current modules.  I'll have to grab the
new branch and do some experiments.

  David