[vtk-developers] Multiple overlapping volumes

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Tue Feb 27 13:32:46 EST 2018

It would probably be a few days effort depending on how much flexibility we
supported. I'd be happy to help work on it, just lacking a customer to
drive it right now.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Steve Pieper <pieper at isomics.com> wrote:

> Hi Elvis -
>
> I'm really happy to see all the progress in vtk.js and want to pool
> resources to avoid divergent/redundant work.  I haven't had a chance to
> look yet at what it would take to integrate the multivolume rendering with
> vtk.js but I'm sure something is possible.  The complex parts are managing
> the opengl state and generating the GLSL code on the fly (metaprogramming)
> to manage resources and composite during ray integration.  Would love to
> work with people on this.
>
> -Steve
>

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Elvis Stansvik <
> elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for responding Steve, and for the links. Very interesting.
>>
>> Did you consider using VTK.js for your Slicer/WebGL experiment, or was it
>> not mature enough at the time?
>>
>> (We have (very) preliminary plans for a web version of our program, and
>> it would be great if VTK.js gained mixed/intersecting volume support just
>> like VTK recently did.)
>>
>> Elvis
>>
>> Den 26 feb. 2018 4:40 em skrev "Steve Pieper" <pieper at isomics.com>:
>>
>>> Hi Guys -
>>>
>>> That video was made using some code I've been playing with for a while
>>> [1] to see how much of a program like Slicer could be implemented in
>>> JavaScript and WebGL(2).  The web environment is very powerful and it's
>>> great to see vtk.js develop.
>>>
>>> We've also looked a bit at what it would take to make libraries of GLSL
>>> code that could work in either desktop OpenGL or WebGL (the CommonGL idea
>>> [2]).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/pieper/sites/tree/gh-pages/step
>>>
>>> [2] https://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2015
>>> -June/032132.html

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.