[vtk-developers] Multiple overlapping volumes

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Tue Feb 27 13:27:07 EST 2018

We have implemented overlapping volumes on the C++ side, I would be
interested in having it available but this probably be somewhat more than a
minor task.

- aashish

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Steve Pieper <pieper at isomics.com> wrote:

> Hi Elvis -
>
> I'm really happy to see all the progress in vtk.js and want to pool
> resources to avoid divergent/redundant work.  I haven't had a chance to
> look yet at what it would take to integrate the multivolume rendering with
> vtk.js but I'm sure something is possible.  The complex parts are managing
> the opengl state and generating the GLSL code on the fly (metaprogramming)
> to manage resources and composite during ray integration.  Would love to
> work with people on this.
>
> -Steve
>

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 12:22 PM, Elvis Stansvik <
> elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for responding Steve, and for the links. Very interesting.
>>
>> Did you consider using VTK.js for your Slicer/WebGL experiment, or was it
>> not mature enough at the time?
>>
>> (We have (very) preliminary plans for a web version of our program, and
>> it would be great if VTK.js gained mixed/intersecting volume support just
>> like VTK recently did.)
>>
>> Elvis
>>
>> Den 26 feb. 2018 4:40 em skrev "Steve Pieper" <pieper at isomics.com>:
>>
>>> Hi Guys -
>>>
>>> That video was made using some code I've been playing with for a while
>>> [1] to see how much of a program like Slicer could be implemented in
>>> JavaScript and WebGL(2).  The web environment is very powerful and it's
>>> great to see vtk.js develop.
>>>
>>> We've also looked a bit at what it would take to make libraries of GLSL
>>> code that could work in either desktop OpenGL or WebGL (the CommonGL idea
>>> [2]).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/pieper/sites/tree/gh-pages/step
>>>
>>> [2] https://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2015
>>> -June/032132.html

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*