[vtk-developers] VTK Master git pull --rebase issue.

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:46:38 EDT 2017

I did:
git fetch origin master
git reset --hard FETCH_HEAD

and everything looked Ok.

Then I removed the untracked files:
        Testing/Data/MFIXReader/.gitattributes.md5
        Testing/Data/NetCDF/.gitattributes.md5
        Testing/Data/WindBladeReader/.gitattributes.md5

Then did *ninja-t clean, *re-ran CMake, and I am back to the same problem:
---------
$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)

        deleted:    Testing/Data/MFIXReader/.gitattributes
        deleted:    Testing/Data/NetCDF/.gitattributes
        deleted:    Testing/Data/WindBladeReader/.gitattributes

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

        Testing/Data/MFIXReader/.gitattributes.md5
        Testing/Data/NetCDF/.gitattributes.md5
        Testing/Data/WindBladeReader/.gitattributes.md5

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

---------
So I think there is an issue with these three md files.

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 8:15 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I often have extra files in my working directory (messy, I know) so to
> avoid erasing them, I explicitly fetch whatever I know my upstream to be,
> and then I reset my head and working directory to the fetch_head:
>
> git fetch origin master
> git reset --hard FETCH_HEAD
>

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Paul Dao <xoviat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If the relevant changes are stored in commits, then:
>>
>> *git reset --hard*
>> *git clean -dfx*
>> *git pull upstream master*
>>
>> THIS WILL DELETE ALL UNCOMMITTED CHANGES!!!

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A  *git pull --rebase* on the VTK Master fails because of these
>>> deleted/untracked files. Does anyone know how to fix this?
>>> Of course I can do a *git checkout --* on the deleted file but that
>>> does not fix the issue. The deleted/untracked files reappear.
>>>
>>> The only change I have made is to include VTK Large Data.
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> $ git status
>>> On branch master
>>> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
>>> Changes not staged for commit:
>>>   (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>>>   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working
>>> directory)
>>>
>>>         deleted:    Testing/Data/MFIXReader/.gitattributes
>>>         deleted:    Testing/Data/NetCDF/.gitattributes
>>>         deleted:    Testing/Data/WindBladeReader/.gitattributes
>>>
>>> Untracked files:
>>>   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
>>>
>>>         Testing/Data/MFIXReader/.gitattributes.md5
>>>         Testing/Data/NetCDF/.gitattributes.md5
>>>         Testing/Data/WindBladeReader/.gitattributes.md5
>>>
>>> no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andrew J. P. Maclean

Andrew J. P. Maclean