[vtk-developers] vtkInstantiator::CreateInstance() deprecation in VTK 8.1

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Oct 23 10:21:38 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 17:26:15 +1100, Andrew Maclean wrote:
> Now I see that vtkInstantiator is being called through vtkXMLReader so:
> 1) If I define build VTK with VTK_LEGACY_REMOVE set to ON, what is used
> instead?
> 2) Is it safe to do this?
>
> I have looked at: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/3324

Here is the branch which removes use of the deprecated code:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/3325

It is simply removed.

Note that since fd39db11a2d4b818ad40a8b709ec58532cabf3a1 (Apr 2012,
included in 6.0.0.rc1), it has defaulted to being off and therefore will
return NULL for *all* classes without a setting when building VTK. No
one has reported this being a problem, so I don't forsee any issue in
the future either.

--Ben