[vtk-developers] vtkInstantiator::CreateInstance() deprecation in VTK 8.1

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 02:26:15 EDT 2017

As an aside:
   Thanks Bill for all your work with VTK Examples, this means I can quote
code accessible for everybody!

For example if you run:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Python/Visualization/
AssignCellColorsFromLUT/
or:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Visualization/
AssignCellColorsFromLUT/

You get this message if using the VTK master:
---
src/VTK/Common/Core/vtkInstantiator.cxx, line 265
vtkInstantiator::CreateInstance was deprecated for VTK 8.1 and will be
removed in a future version.
---

Now I see that vtkInstantiator is being called through vtkXMLReader so:
1) If I define build VTK with VTK_LEGACY_REMOVE set to ON, what is used
instead?
2) Is it safe to do this?

I have looked at: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/3324

Thanks