[vtk-developers] Thoughts on changelog maintenance?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Nov 7 15:48:44 EST 2017

I support anything that move us further away from the
centralized/semi-manual way we make releases now and towards the perfect
world that David Gobbi recommends. Automating releases further will cut
down on the time it takes to put them together and make it feasible to do
them very frequently and on a regular schedule.

Benefits of the current system are, besides the convenience for developers
that David mentioned, are that the "tell us about your change?" emails are
good karma and a nice way to reach out to new developers, and that from
time to time the handcrafted release note announcements come out well. I
for one am willing to trade these for multiple releases per year.

I vote for optional md file per commit in a directory for the time being.
To get beyond that (which I think we should do) we'll have to enforce no
merges without accompanying issues or something like that to train us all
over to an ideal workflow.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer