[vtk-developers] VTK, Python 3 and the six module - install error on six.pyc

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue May 16 11:24:18 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:11:50 -0400, Aron Helser wrote:
> Yes, I updated Autobahn to use the third-party update mechanism, and used
> the cmake files that already existed. I never tested the 'make install'
> functionality
> with Python 3. I would expect the ParaView superbuild to do that, but I
> don't

ParaView does other things for its Python install rules, so I'm not
surprised that VTK on its own is a bit different. Maybe ParaView *only*
installs the `.py` files and after installation does the `.pyc`
generation?

> really know. I've not touched the vtk cmake infrastructure yet - I'll go
> ask for help.
> I don't see '__pycache__' handled anywhere in vtk/paraview .cmake files....

That's the problem ;) . Python3 now stores `.pyc`, `.pyo`, and other
files under a `__pycache__` directory rather than right beside the `.py`
files they are generated from.

--Ben