[vtk-developers] VTK, Python 3 and the six module - install error on six.pyc

Aron Helser aron.helser at kitware.com
Tue May 16 11:11:50 EDT 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> > I have been looking into this in the context of Tomviz, which uses
> > Python 3, but was able to reproduce this in a vanilla VTK build tree.
> > If you use Python 3 everything installs fine, but if you turn on
> > Module_SixPython then I get the following install error:
> >
> > -- Installing: /usr/local/vtk/lib/cmake/vtk-7.1/Modules/SixPython.cmake
> > -- Installing: /usr/local/vtk/lib/python3.5/site-packages/six.py
> > CMake Error at ThirdParty/SixPython/cmake_install.cmake:40 (file):
> >  file INSTALL cannot find "/home/marcus/build/vtk/
> Wrapping/Python/six.pyc".
> > Call Stack (most recent call first):
> >  cmake_install.cmake:104 (include)
> >
> > A quick grep turned up nothing obvious, but it would seem that other
> > Python modules are correctly finding the pyc files in the __pycache__
> > directories, but not so with six. Any pointers on where this logic
> > might be, and why it might be breaking down for this very simple
> > module.
> >
> Isn't it always the way, but I guess the major issue is that only a
> few modules use vtk_module_python_package, and that CMake function
> seems to have no idea about __pycache__ in Python 3, and is only just
> starting to be used there with AutobahnPython and SixPython. I am
> guessing when they were added make install wasn't tested with Python
> 3.
>
> Aron, it looks like you added the Autobahn to Python 3, any chance
> that the install target could be fixed? It seems like the
> vtk_module_python_package function needs to be extended to deal with
> __pycache__ when using Python 3 but people more knowledgeable in
> Python-fu may have other ideas.

Yes, I updated Autobahn to use the third-party update mechanism, and used
the cmake files that already existed. I never tested the 'make install'
functionality
with Python 3. I would expect the ParaView superbuild to do that, but I
don't
really know. I've not touched the vtk cmake infrastructure yet - I'll go
ask for help.
I don't see '__pycache__' handled anywhere in vtk/paraview .cmake files....